Arthritis is a common term for a variety of conditions that affect the joints. More than 50 million Americans are affected by arthritis. Although we are born with many different joints that allow us to move around easily, arthritis can cause stiffness and pain that can stop us from moving. Osteoarthritis. The average age at onset is over 40. Characteristics: The joint becomes stiffer and more painful over time.
- Rheumatoid arthritis. The average age at onset is 25-50. Characteristics: An autoimmune condition, where immune system cells kill body cells, inflammation of the joint and nearby tendons, muscles and nerves.
- Spondyloarthropathies. The average age of onset is between 20 and 40. Characteristics: Can cause postural changes and spinal inflammation.
- Gout. Gout is a condition that affects between 40 and 43 years old. Characteristics: Sudden severe pain, swelling of large joints, usually the big toe.
- Lupus. Average age of onset: 18-50. Characteristics: Fever and weakness.
- Joint pain. Juvenile rheumatoid arthritis. The average age at onset is under 18. Characteristics: A condition that causes stiffness in the knees and wrists. It may affect the heart, nervous system, kidneys, and lungs.
- Infectious arthritis. Average age of onset: None. Characteristics: Feelings of body aches, chills and fever, low blood pressure, swelling, and pain that spreads into other joints.
- Kawasaki syndrome. Average age of onset: 6 months to 1 year. Characteristics: Fever and joint pain, rash on the palms and soles, heart issues.
Oriental medicine can treat arthritis in all its forms. Your acupro will determine the environmental factors that you have. These include wind (moving pain), damp, cold (worse than cold), heat (skin is swollen and inflamed to the touch), and cold (worse than cold). Your acu-pro will treat your specific complaint and improve your overall health to keep your body feeling great.
Studies are being done on various areas of arthritis that can be treated with acupuncture, such as knee osteoarthritis. I use a variety of acupuncture techniques, including traditional needle system, electro, and electromagnetic acupuncture. Each has its place in a series of treatments. The trick is to determine which combination or combination will provide the best relief.
Acupuncture in all its forms moves stuck blood, qi, and to increase flexibility and decrease pain. Acupressure and Tui Na massage will apply firm pressure to tender arthritic nodules along with sore ashi points along muscles and joints. Nodules are hard lumps in the muscles.
Acupressure and Tui-Na massage will use firm pressure over sore ashi points along the joints and muscles. Patients are often taught Qi Gong exercises. Deep breathing and slow, gradual movements help to keep joints moving and improve circulation. Chinese herbal medicine and foods can be used to nourish the body and treat any underlying conditions. Oriental medicine has been treating arthritis for centuries. We can help you find the right treatment for you.