Ho la gotta?
Gout is caused when there is too much uric acid in your bloodstream. But that doesn’t explain everything. This leaves many questions unanswered, such as “What causes uric acid buildup” and “How do I prevent it from happening”. The answer lies in protein and your kidneys. Purine is a substance found in protein, regardless of whether it is animal or vegetable. Your body will leave behind uric acid after it has broken down the purine. Normal circumstances would mean that your kidneys would filter it out and you wouldn’t have to worry. Some of it can be left behind if there is too much of it or if your kidneys don’t work properly. This might not be too bad as the kidneys can remove it the next time around.
But it is not always. Crystals form when enough acid is combined. These crystals can become heavy and lodge in joints, causing the usual redness, swelling, and pain associated with gout. Two main reasons to lose a nail are injury and fungus. Most of us will experience a fungus every single time as we don’t dance or run marathons. The yellow color is another sign of olde fungi.
Although a doctor can diagnose the problem and provide treatment, most insurance companies won’t pay for medication. It’s not something we can complain about, but it is a fact. The next step is to figure out how to treat it at home. While there are some over-the-counter remedies that can be helpful, my doctor said that vapor rub (the one used to treat chest colds) works wonders. It works, and I can attest to it. It’s also much cheaper. Apple cider vinegar is another option. Make sure to disinfect the toes after any injury.
To prevent further injury, you may need to bandage the toe and avoid using it. This means that you should let it heal and not return to work immediately. Your doctor should see you if your toe is injured enough to cause the nail dislodged. It is important to see your doctor if the nail has not fallen completely off. If it has, it may be necessary to use local anesthetics to trim it. It may feel if it is attached to the nail bed. Both cases can be treated with an antiseptic. Our feet travel a lot and not all of them are clean. White socks are best for wounds. Change the bandages if they get wet. It can be painful to lose a nail, but there are things you can be thankful for.